ImportantBefore registering a sensor to Pulse, please ensure the sensor is up-to-date and running the latest Pwnix Release available. For information on how to update the sensor please refer to the support article, the user Manual or contact the Support.
It is also required to know the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) i.e. "widgets.pwnieexpress.net", or "f4k2ae79.pwnieexpress.net", etc. of the Pulse environment provisioned for use. If you do not know the FQDN please contact Support.
Register a Sensor to Pulse
Registering a sensor to Pulse is a simple, two-step process. The first step is performed from the sensor itself, using the sensor's web-based UI or via SSH. The second step is performed from within Pulse, whereupon the sensor being registered must be approved.
- From the network the sensor will be discovering assets and reporting upon to Pulse, log in to the sensor using its web-based UI at (whereas x.x.x.x is the IP address assigned to the sensor).
- After login, from the Overview page, click Pulse on the left side of the UI.
- If the sensor has yet to be registered, three fields will be visible. If the sensor has already been registered, a blue button offering to Deregister Sensor is provided and there is no need to proceed any further.
- In the Pulse Hostname field, type the FQDN for the Pulse environment the sensor is to be registered with, in other words widgets.pwnieexpress.net or f4k2ae79.pwnieexpress.net
- In the Sensor Name field, type the name, in other words Berlin – Branch Office to represent the sensor. It is encouraged the name of the sensor is indicative of the geographic location or branch office where the sensor is physically located.
- Optionally, in the Contact field, type the name of an individual who would be responsible for the administration of the sensor.
- After the required information has been provided, click the Connect to Pulse button once to join the sensor to Pulse.
- This completes the first step.
- Using a web browser (Google Chrome is recommended) login to Pulse using the same FQDN, in other words , , and so on. the sensor was registered to/with.
- Next, click Tools ,the wrench icon at the top and select Unapproved sensors from the drop-down menu.
- All sensors registered, but awaiting approval will be displayed.
- When the sensor appears on the list, click the Approve button once to complete the process of joining the sensor to Pwn Pulse.
- This completes the second step.
After the sensor has been approved, go to the Sensors page and wait approximately 3-5 minutes, refreshing the page periodically for the sensor to become online. After the sensor is online, select the sensor, then select Services. On the Services page, enable the discovery related services desired.
For reference the PwnScan Automated Scanner service performs the continuous discovery of assets on the network, in other words. anything with an IP address. The Realtime Wireless Discovery service performs the continuous discovery of wireless assets and the Blue Hydra Bluetooth Scanner service performs the continuous discovery of Bluetooth assets.
After enabling one or more of the discovery related services, please be aware it may take as long as an hour before assets become reflected within the Pulse UI under the Assets page.
In the first step, as an alternative to using the web-based UI to register a sensor to Pulse, it is possible to register a sensor to Pulse using SSH by performing the following:
- Establish either an SSH connection or a reverse SSH connection to the sensor and login with the "pwnie" user account.
sudo suand press Enter, then re-type the password to become superuser.
- Next, type
px-register-dispatch --hostname widgets.pwnieexpress.net --sensorname "<Sensor Name>"and press Enter, replacing widgets.pwnieexpress.net with the FQDN for the Pulse environment, and the <Sensor Name> with the name of the sensor desired.
- After being returned to the "#" prompt, login to Pulse to approve the sensor.
© 2023 Outpost24® All rights reserved. This document may only be redistributed unedited and unaltered. This document may be cited and referenced only if clearly crediting Outpost24® and this document as the source. Any other reproduction and redistribution in print or electronically is strictly prohibited without explicit permission.
Outpost24® and OUTSCAN™ are trademarks of Outpost24® and its affiliated companies. All other brand names, product names or trademarks belong to their respective owners.